Expert Tips to Sweat-Proofing Your Makeup This Summer
The season of pools, festivals, and endless road tripping across New Zealand is here, and we know some of you are ready to hit the beaches and get your tan on this very second. However, the time for sun and heat also means your makeup is likely to (quite literally) melt off your face – so is it really time to say goodbye to that full-coverage beat?
Ready for some summer fun but don’t want to lose full-coverage goodness? Don’t worry, we’ve got you! Here are our top expert tips to sweat-proofing your makeup so your makeup stays put this season!
Primer is your best friend
Any amazing heatproof makeup routine starts with a proper primer. This summer, you’ll want to add a reliable primer into your makeup bag because these are going to be your sweat-proofing best friend. Primer is the most important part of keeping your foundation from sweating all over the show – it keeps your makeup in place and also helps to reduce shine as you go about your day. Some primers provide extra SPF as well!
Here’s some of our priming faves for different skin types:
- MUCHMORE A Class Primer
- LA Girl Pro Prep Face Primer 15ml
- NYX Professional Makeup Total Control Drop Primer
- Maybelline Superstay Primer
- Maybelline Baby Skin Pore Eraser
- ABSOLUTE New York Flawless Foundation Primer in Lavender
- ABSOLUTE New York Fresh Prep Primer Spray
Prime those lids!
It’s one thing to prime your face, and another to prime your lids so your eye look – aka your masterpiece – stays put. Not only does eye primer improve makeup longevity, it also intensifies the pigments to make sure those bright colours pop and your glitters shine. Waterproof shadow primer also exists for those near-the-water days when you never know what’ll happen.
Check out our top eye primer picks:
- NYX Professional Makeup Proof It! Waterproof Shadow Primer
- Nude by Nature Perfecting Eye Primer
- theBalm Put A Lid On It® Eyelid Primer
Set with spray
If you don’t already have one, a setting spray will be your summer holy grail. Setting sprays are pretty much ultra-hold spray glues for your makeup that lock in all the product. They’re also multi-purpose – setting sprays provide a cooling effect, remove sweat, and reset your makeup throughout the day. If you’ve watched YouTube tutorials recently, you’ll know that setting sprays are almost a permanent part of every makeup routine, so you don’t want to leave the house and step out into a hot day without a quick spritz.
Don’t have one in your arsenal? You’ll love these!
- LA Girl Pro Setting Matte Finishing Spray
- Maybelline Master Fix Setting Spray 100ml
- NYX Professional Makeup Setting Spray for Dewy Finish
- NYX Professional Makeup Setting Spray for Matte Finish
It’s a no-brainer – waterproof or water-resistant makeup will last longer. Switch your eyeliner and mascara formula for something a little more heavy duty; you’ll last the entire day without any unfortunate drips down your fabulous face when you start to sweat.
Looking for waterproof mascara? Check these babies out!
- Maybelline Volum’ Express Falsies Mascara Waterproof
- Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara #10 Noir
- theBalm SCUBA™ Water Resistant Black Mascara